Apply For A Business License Tracy, California

Are you planning to open a business in Tracy, California?

Those who are interested in opening a business in Tracy, CA will need to apply for a business license from the City of Tracy Finance Department. The application for a business license is available online from the City of Tracy website. You can also request an application in person from Finance Department by visiting them at 333 Civic Center Plaza. The application should be completed and your business licensed prior to opening your business. 

Which Tracy business license should you apply for?

The City of Tracy breaks their business licenses into five different categories: general business license (per employee), general business for outside the city of Tracy, a peddler’s permit, a home occupation permit, and a contractor’s application. If your business is located outside city limits but you enter into the city to conduct business, such as delivery or repair services, you will choose the general business license application for outside the city. If you are operating your business from your place of residence, the home occupation permit application should be filed. If your business is going to be located inside the city limits in a commercial building, choose the general business application.  Peddlers should fill out the peddler’s license application and contractors should use the contractor’s application. If your business does not fit into any of these categories, contact the Finance Department at (209) 831-6800.

What information is required to apply for a Tracy business license?

The information that you provide will depend on the business license application that you chose. The general information that you will provide includes the name of your business, the contact information of your business, ownership type (solely owned, corporation, LLC, or partnership), and owner contact information. You may need to provide federal and state tax ID numbers, state license, sales and resale number, social security numbers of owners, etc.

Home occupation permit:

If you are filling out the home occupation permit application, you will need to fill it out in addition to the general, per-employee business license application. The home occupation application has an outline of all the conditions of home occupations in the City of Tracy as per Section 10.08.4590 of the Tracy Municipal Code. Some of the regulations associated with a home occupation include not selling any goods from on site, only having persons living inside your home working for your business, no displaying outside signage or evidence that there is a business being run from your home, etc. You will need to read and be familiar with all the conditions and regulations associated with home occupation and will need to sign the application stating that you agree to be in compliance with them. If you do not own your property, you will need to obtain the consent of the owner to operate a business from your home.

General business license per employee:

If you are filling out a general business application, you will need to provide the number of employees that you plan to hire to calculate your fees and taxes. You will also need to have planning, fire, and police approvals for in city businesses.

Out of business license:

Your business license fees will include non-refundable fee in addition to the fees associated with other licenses in the city.

Peddler’s permit:

To obtain your peddler’s license for door to door peddling, you will need to register with the police department.

Contractor’s business license:

You will need to be familiar with and in compliance of the Contractor’s License Law, Business Profession Code, Division 3, Chapter 9, Article 2; Section 7033. 

Do you need other permits or licenses?

You may need to apply for additional licenses or permits depending on the type of business you plan to do. If you are handling food, for example, you will need to contact the San Joaquin County Environmental Health (Food Facilities) at (209) 468-3420. If you plan to serve or sell alcohol, you will need to contact the the Alcoholic Beverage Control board to discuss obtaining a license to serve alcohol. If you are going to open a child care center, you will want to contact the State Childcare Licenses Division at (209) 468-3420. Contact the Finance Department to determine if you will need to contact any of these or any other agencies for additional permits or licenses.

What is the cost of obtaining a Tracy business license?

The cost of a Tracy business license is subject to the type of business license you apply for, the number of employees you have, and the time of year that you apply for your business license. If you need assistance calculating the fees associated with your specific business license, contact the Finance Department at (209) 831-6800. 

Do you have questions or concerns?

Contact the Finance Department for more information by phone at (209) 831-6800 or in person at 333 Civic Center Plaza. The City of Tracy website has very helpful information for anyone starting their own business.

Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license

Alameda Alhambra Anaheim
Antioch Apple Valley Arcadia
Bakersfield Baldwin Park Bellflower
Berkeley Buena Park Burbank
Camarillo Carlsbad Carson
Cerritos Chico Chino
Chino Hills Chula Vista Citrus Heights
Clovis Concord Corona
Costa Mesa Cupertino Daly City
Davis Diamond Bar Downey
El Cajon El Monte Encinitas
Escondido Fairfield Folsom
Fontana Fountain Valley Fremont
Fresno Fullerton Garden Grove
Gardena Glendale Hawthorne
Hayward Hemet Hesperia
Huntington Beach Huntington Park Inglewood
Irvine La Habra La Mesa
Laguna Niguel Lake Forest Lakewood
Lancaster Livermore Lodi
Long Beach Los Angeles Lynwood
Merced Milpitas Mission Viejo
Modesto Montebello Moreno Valley
Mountain View Napa National City
Newport Beach Norwalk Oakland
Oceanside Ontario Orange
Oxnard Palmdale Palo Alto
Paramount Pasadena Petaluma
Pico Rivera Pittsburg Pleasanton
Pomona Rancho Cucamonga Redding
Redlands Redondo Beach Redwood City
Rialto Richmond Riverside
Roseville Sacramento Salinas
San Bernardino San Buenaventura (Ventura) San Diego
San Francisco San Jose San Leandro
San Marcos San Mateo San Rafael
Santa Ana Santa Barbara Santa Clara
Santa Clarita Santa Cruz Santa Maria
Santa Monica Santa Rosa Santee
Simi Valley South Gate South San Francisco
Sunnyvale Temecula Thousand Oaks
Torrance Tracy Turlock
Tustin Union City Upland
Vacaville Vallejo Victorville
Visalia Vista Walnut Creek
West Covina Westminster Whittier
Yorba Linda    

There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.

Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?