Apply For A Business License Merced, California
Do you plan to open a business in Merced, California?
Anyone operating business in Merced is required to obtain a business license from the Finance Department. You can download and print the application for a business license from the City of Merced website, or you can request one in person from the Finance Department at 678 West 18th Street. They can be reached by phone at (209) 385-6843. Your business license application may be one of several license applications that you are required to file. For example, if your business involves massage, there is a separate application that will need to be completed in addition to your business license application. If you choose to operate a business from your home, you will need to fill out a home occupation application. The City of Merced website had a complete list of additional applications that can be downloaded and printed in conjunction with your basic business license application.
Has your business location been approved for zoning?
Your business location should be approved before you enter into any lease or purchase agreements on the property. Do not rely only on the city zoning maps. You should contact the Planning staff to discuss your proposed location to be certain that your business activities are not restricted in the zone in which you wish to do business. The Planning staff can help you to determine if you are approved. You can contact them at (209) 385-6858. You can also visit them in person at 678 West 18th Street in Merced.
What information will you need to complete your Merced business license application?
The business license application will need specific information regarding your business and your business activities. This information includes (but is not limited to):
- Business name
- Physical business address and telephone number. Please note that a home business must use the physical address of the residence and not a PO box
- Business mailing address if different from the physical address
- A detailed description of your business activities
- Whether you are a licensed contractor and all applicable information regarding your contractor’s license
- If your business is a check cashing business
- Federal Tax ID number or social security number if you are the sole proprietor
- State Tax ID or social security number
- State sales tax number if applicable
- Ownership type: sole owner, non-profit (and non-profit number), corporation, or partnership
- Contact information, birthdate, and valid driver’s license information for all owners
- Corporation information, if applicable
- There is a section of several yes or no questions. Answering ‘yes’ to any of these questions will help to determine if you need additional approval, inspections, or permits from other city, state, or federal entities before commencing business.
- You must sign and date your application. Your signature denotes that all of the information you have provided is true and accurate, that you agree to comply with any and all federal, state, and/or local regulations, laws, and requirements and that you will risk your license being denied or revoked if you are not in compliance or have been found to provide any false information on your application.
When you have completed your application and any additional applications, you will need to return the completed applications to the Finance Department at 678 West 18th Street in Merced. If you have any questions or need assistance in completing your application, the Department can be reached at (209) 385-6843.
What fees are associated with receiving a Merced business license?
To determine your fees, you will need to contact the Finance Department at (209) 385-6843. They will give you all the applicable information on the fees that will be required for your business license.
Do you need more information?
If you have further questions or concerns or would like more information, you can visit the Finance Department at 678 West 18th Street in Merced. They can be reached by phone at (209) 385-6843. Additionally, the City of Merced website contains valuable information that you may find helpful.
Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license
There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.
Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.
Search by State
To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.
This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.