Are you considering opening a business in Santa Rosa, California?
Those who are wishing to open a business in Santa Rosa, CA will need to apply for and be issued a business tax certificate from the City of Santa Rosa Revenue & Collections Department. They are located at 90 Santa Rosa Avenue. They can be reached by phone by calling (707) 543-3170. The application can be requested either in person from the Revenue & Collections Department or you can simply print it from the City of Santa Rosa website. In addition to a business tax certificate, you will need to have your business zone-cleared. This is done by contacting the Planning Department. The Planning Department can help you to determine the best location for a business based on the activities you plan to conduct. It is recommended that you not enter into any real estate contracts before you are certain that it will meet zoning clearance. The Planning Department can be reached at (707) 543-3223.
Do you have the necessary information to apply for a Santa Rosa business tax certificate?
The application for a business tax certificate is used to gather information on your business for taxes and fees. The certificate is needed to verify that your business is being ran legally and that all permits, licenses and approvals are in place. The information that you will need to provide includes:
- An estimate of gross receipts for the current year
- The type of ownership your business is under, whether it is owned singly, by a larger corporation, a trust, a partnership, LLC, LLP, or trust
- A description of your business activities
- Name and contact information for each owner
- The name of your business
- Physical location, mailing address, and contact number of your business
- Number of employees you plan to hire
- Business start date
- A section of yes or no questions used to gather information about the type of business you are conducting and if you have all appropriate licenses and permits for your business activities
- A section to calculate your business taxes
- Space for credit card information to pay your taxes due
- By signing your application you are verifying that you have obtained all permits and licenses to conduct business and that all information provided on the application is true and
What other permits and licenses will you need?
This really depends on the type of business that you will be doing on Santa Rosa. For example, if you plan to operate a business involving massage, you will likely need to contact the California Massage Therapy Council at (916) 669-5336. If your business activities include selling or serving alcohol, you may need a license to serve alcohol from the Alcoholic Beverage Control department. If your business needs a FEIN (federal employer’s ID number) you can contact the IRS to request information about this. There are many other permits and/or licenses that you may need. Check with the City of Santa Rosa Revenue & Collections Department to discuss your business activities and to determine if you will need to apply for any additional permits or licenses. You should be aware that any permits and licenses will be required in addition to, and not in lieu of the business tax certificate.
What fees and taxes will you be expected to pay?
Your Santa Rosa business taxes are calculated based on the estimated gross receipts for your first year in business. When you renew your Santa Rosa business license, you will pay based on actual annual gross receipts and if you have over-estimated, you will be reimbursed, and conversely, if you have under-estimated, you will be charged. Santa Rosa Business taxes are due the last day of February each year. If you pay late, you will be charged a 15% penalty per month.
Do you need more information?
For more information you can contact the City of Santa Rosa Business Tax Section by visiting 90 Santa Rosa Avenue, by sending correspondence to P.O. Box 1673 Santa Rosa, CA 95402, or by calling (707) 543-3170. The Business Tax Section office is open Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and alternate Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
CLICK THE LINK TO YOUR CITY BELOW TO APPLY FOR A BUSINESS LICENSE