Apply For A Business License Antioch, California
Are you ready to start your own business in Antioch?
You're going to need a business license. If you already own a business but have moved, changed your name or bought an already established business, you will still need to apply for a business license.
How should you go about procuring a business license?
First, you will need to make sure that your location meets zoning regulations. Some zones require Zoning Administrator or Planning Commission approval, while other zones prohibit certain businesses. You can check with the Planning Department at City Hall to check zone regulations.
If your business is located outside of your home, you will be required to complete a Business License application, which can be picked up at the Finance Department on the first floor of City Hall. You can also download it and print it. When you have completed the Business License application, you should return it to the Planning and Building Departments where it will be reviewed and approved. Then it will be taken to the Finance Department where it should be handed in along with all applicable fees that will need to be paid. The application consists of two pages.
Some important information that will be needed includes:
• Your business name and address
• Your personal name, address, contact numbers and cell phone number
• Detailed description of the business you will be conducting
• Your FED ID number
• State ID number
• Sellers Permit number
• Owner type meaning whether you are the sole proprietor, in a partnership, part of a corporation or a trust
• Additional owner's names and addresses
• Web site
You should also include your home occupation number if applicable.
Are you planning to run your business out of your home?
If you plan to run a business out of your home, you will still need to complete a Business License application. Additionally, you will need to complete a Home Occupation Use Permit application. This application can be requested from the Planning Division of the Department of Community Development by calling (925) 779-7035. The application outlines the many regulations set for those conducting business out of their residence. It is important to fill out all parts of the application completely to avoid being denied your Home Occupation Permit. The application asks questions regarding the intended use of your home, including whether you will be handling chemicals, how products and services will be distributed to customers, and detailed description of the business you will be conducting. It is important to note that your neighbors will be notified of your intention to conduct business from your home, and you must provide the names and addresses of those neighbors. You are responsible for familiarizing yourself on the regulations for running your home business. There are several businesses that do not qualify as home businesses, such as beauty parlors, hair salons or barbershops, restaurants, auto-repair, funeral parlors, etc., and you should be aware that your license will be denied or revoked if you are not complying with all regulations.
What fees are associated with obtaining your business license?
It depends on how much your business will be making. The fees are calculated based on your annual gross receipts or an estimate of the amount of your gross receipts. A Home Occupation Use Permit will have a one time processing fee which should be paid at the Community Development Department. You can find more information on fees on the City of Antioch website.
What other information will you need?
• You are required to carry Worker's Compensation Insurance for anyone employed at your business
• It will take approximately four weeks to process your Business License application, when it has been processed, it will be mailed to your business location
• If you are using a name other than your proper name (Jose Example PhD) you must file it with the County Clerk's office
• Any business that offers food service including deli, snack-bar, bakery etc is required to be licensed by the Contra Costa County Environmental Health Services
• Selling alcohol requires an alcoholic beverages license through the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
• Any business dealing with or generating hazardous waste will require a permit form the Contra Costa County Occupational Health Services
• When you apply for a Home Occupation Use Permit, your home may be inspected to make sure it meets fire and/or safety codes
Who should you contact with further questions?
Third and H Streets City Hall, Second Floor
Building Department Third and H Streets City Hall, Second Floor
Finance Department Business Licenses
Third and H Streets City Hall, First Floor
You can also visit the Antioch city website for more information.
Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license
There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.
Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.
Search by State
To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.
This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.