Are you looking to start a business in Thousand Oaks, California?
Any business operating in the City of Thousand Oaks, CA will need to be licensed. To obtain a business license, you will need to either download one from the City of Thousand Oaks
website or visit the Finance Department at 2100 Thousand Oaks Boulevard. You may call the Finance Department at (805) 449-2201 to request that a business license application be mailed to you.
In addition to a business license application, you will need to file a occupancy permit application. Those working from home need to file a home occupation permit application. Each of these additional applications can be found on the City of Thousand Oaks website as well. Depending on where your business will be located and whether you are a contractor or operating a home business, you will choose either the in-city business application or the out-of-city application. For the sake of simplicity, the in-city, non-contractor application will be described in this article. The application for out-of-city requires less information, and does not have a business tax schedule or occupancy permit application attached. The in-city application should be filled out completely with the following information:
- Ownership type, whether solely owned, part of a corporation, involved in a partnership, an LLC, or exempt
- All contact information, social security number, and valid driver’s license number of all owners
- Business description (manufacturing, retail, construction, service, wholesale)
- Name, physical and mailing address, email, and fax and phone numbers for your business
- Opening date
- Number of employees, vehicles, and square footage of business
- If applicable, state contractor’s license information, resale license number, federal employer’s ID number, etc.
- Location of business (home, out-of-city, office, etc)
- Estimated annual gross receipts
- Signature of applicant verifying that all information is true and accurate
- Occupancy permit information requires that you repeat all owner and business contact information and provide a list of products and goods your business will create, disclosure of whether your business will create or store any potentially hazardous materials, and the type of equipment you plan to use. Your signature is again given to certify that all information is true and complete.
- If you plan to operate your business from home, the home occupancy application has a few additional questions, such as whether you will use a garage as part of your business, if you will use vehicles that are not used as basic family cars, and where these cars will be parked, etc. There is an outline of the Thousand Oaks Municipal Code Section 9-4.2518 which defines the conditions and regulations associated with a home occupations, which you will need to be familiar with in order that you can run your home business in compliance.
If you need any assistance for completing any of the applications or have questions regarding your application(s), contact the Finance Department at (805) 449-2201. When you have completed both applications, you will return them to the Finance Department along with any applicable fees.
Will you need other permits or licenses?
Depending on the nature of your business, you may need to contact other agencies to obtain separate licenses or permits. Several business activities are listed on the City of Thousand Oaks website which may require you to contact the Finance Department to request applications. Some of these activities include massage-related businesses, food vending, transportation services, guns and ammunition, etc. You may also need to contact the Alcoholic Beverage Control department for alcohol sales, the IRS for tax ID numbers, the health department for health permits and inspections for food services, etc.
Are there fees associated with receiving a business license?
There is a $60.00 processing fee for a new business application and a $100.00 fee for your occupancy permit. In addition to the $160.00 fees, you will also incur a cost based on your estimated gross receipts and the quarter in which you receive your business license. These fees will be between $20.00 and $350 for the first quarter, between $15.00 and $262 for the second quarter, between $10.00 and $175 for the third quarter and between $10.00 and $87.50 for the fourth quarter. The quarters are based on a 12-month cycle, January to March being quarter one, April to June being quarter two, July to September being the third quarter and October to December being quarter four. If you have questions regarding your fees, contact the Finance Department at (805) 449-2201 for more information.
Do you have other questions or concerns?
If you would like to discuss your business license application or any concerns you may have regarding the process of obtaining your business license, you may contact the Finance Department at (805) 449-2201 or visit them in person at 2100 Thousand Oaks Boulevard in Thousand Oaks. The City of Thousand Oaks
has very useful information on their website for those interested in opening their own business as well.
Disclaimer: This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.