Apply For A Business License Fremont, California

Do I need a business license to open a business in Fremont, California?

In Fremont, you will need a business tax certificate to operate a business in the city limits, even if you have a business outside city limits but conduct any business within the city, such as supply, vending or deliveries. You can fill out an application and print it from the City of Fremont website, or you can pick one up at the Revenue Division Cashier Window in the Development Services Center. You can also request that an application be mailed to you by calling (510) 494-4790.

Do I need zoning clearance for my business?

You will need zoning clearance before you purchase or lease any property. You can contact the Zoning Line either by email ( or by calling (510) 494-4455. You can check the zoning map by visiting the Focus On Fremont website. (Please note that this site only operates with Microsoft Internet Explorer.)

What information do I need to apply for my Fremont business tax certificate?

Your business tax application is a three-page document that requests information on the business you plan to open and includes questions such as:

  1. Whether you are changing the name of your business, relocating, opening a new location, starting a new business or changing owners
  2. Business name
  3. Corporation name (if different than the business name)
  4. Physical address of business
  5. All business contact information
  6. Description of your business activities
  7. Type of ownership, whether you are the sole proprietor, LLC, LLP, part of a corporation, or involved in a business partnership
  8. If applicable, you will need to provide your seller’s permit number,  Federal Tax ID number, state contractor’s number, and professional license
  9. If your business activity involves retail sales, wholesale, real estate, warehousing, manufacturing, administrative office with no sales, service, professional services, research & development, and/or property management
  10. Start date of your business in Fremont
  11. Number of employees
  12. Whether your business involves importing or exporting
  13. The square-footage of your business location
  14. If you share occupancy with other businesses
  15. The location of your off-site storage or corporation yard if applicable
  16. All owners' names, contact information, valid driver’s license numbers and social security numbers
  17. A signature of the owner or authorized agent stating that you have given accurate and true information

What if I want to operate my business from home?

You will need to obtain a Fremont Home Occupation Permit in addition to your business tax certificate. You can fill out and print an application from the City of Fremont website or pick one up in person at 39550 Liberty Street, Fremont. The application consists of a short section stating your business name, contact information and a description of your business activities. It also outlines specific regulations such as the percentage of your home that may be used in operating your business, that no one besides your immediate family that lives in your residence may work in the Fremont home business, that you will not create more traffic than ten vehicles per day, and that no more than two vehicles at a time will ever be at your place of residence. Your business may not adversely impact your neighborhood and you may not produce more than solid waste of more than thirty pounds a week. Certain activities will not be permitted as Fremont home-occupation, such as vehicle sales and repair, bike repair, massage parlors, fortune telling etc. This is only a partial list. You should familiarize yourself with the prohibited activities. There are several other regulations that you will need to comply with or risk having your Fremont home occupancy permit revoked. 

Do I need other Fremont permits or Fremont licenses?

It depends on the Fremont business that you plan to operate. If you are planning to open a restaurant, a salon, or a tattoo parlor, you will need to obtain a health department permit. If you are planning to serve alcohol, you will be required to have a Alcohol Beverage Control license. If you are opening a child care center or a family child care center, you will need to contact the California Department of Social Services, and if you have more than nine children, you will have to obtain a Fremont business tax certificate as well. In addition, you may require an alarm permit, a building permit, a fire code permit, a peddler permit or a sign permit. For a complete list of what permits you may need, please contact the Revenue Division at (510) 494-4790.

What fees can I expect to incur?

There will be a fee to submit your application for the Fremont business tax certificate, which will need to be renewed annually. There may be additional fees if you are required to obtain separate permits or approvals. Contact the Revenue Division at (510) 494-4790 to inquire about additional fees.

I need more information. Who should I contact?

You can contact the Revenue Division at the City of Fremont at (510) 494-4790, visit them online at, or visit the office in person at 39550 Liberty Street, Fremont, California between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m Monday through Thrusday and between 8:00 a.m. and noon on Friday.

Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license

Alameda Alhambra Anaheim
Antioch Apple Valley Arcadia
Bakersfield Baldwin Park Bellflower
Berkeley Buena Park Burbank
Camarillo Carlsbad Carson
Cerritos Chico Chino
Chino Hills Chula Vista Citrus Heights
Clovis Concord Corona
Costa Mesa Cupertino Daly City
Davis Diamond Bar Downey
El Cajon El Monte Encinitas
Escondido Fairfield Folsom
Fontana Fountain Valley Fremont
Fresno Fullerton Garden Grove
Gardena Glendale Hawthorne
Hayward Hemet Hesperia
Huntington Beach Huntington Park Inglewood
Irvine La Habra La Mesa
Laguna Niguel Lake Forest Lakewood
Lancaster Livermore Lodi
Long Beach Los Angeles Lynwood
Merced Milpitas Mission Viejo
Modesto Montebello Moreno Valley
Mountain View Napa National City
Newport Beach Norwalk Oakland
Oceanside Ontario Orange
Oxnard Palmdale Palo Alto
Paramount Pasadena Petaluma
Pico Rivera Pittsburg Pleasanton
Pomona Rancho Cucamonga Redding
Redlands Redondo Beach Redwood City
Rialto Richmond Riverside
Roseville Sacramento Salinas
San Bernardino San Buenaventura (Ventura) San Diego
San Francisco San Jose San Leandro
San Marcos San Mateo San Rafael
Santa Ana Santa Barbara Santa Clara
Santa Clarita Santa Cruz Santa Maria
Santa Monica Santa Rosa Santee
Simi Valley South Gate South San Francisco
Sunnyvale Temecula Thousand Oaks
Torrance Tracy Turlock
Tustin Union City Upland
Vacaville Vallejo Victorville
Visalia Vista Walnut Creek
West Covina Westminster Whittier
Yorba Linda    

There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.

Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?