Apply For A Business License Illinois - IL
What are the local licensing requirements in Illinois?
By visiting the local city and/or county website, you will be able to find what local licensing, permits, and regulations are necessary. Most cities within Illinois do require a general business license issued by the city/county where you are doing business. Some businesses however, do not need one. Some businesses may need an occupations licensing from the Zoning Division if operating their business from their homes within city limits.
Do I need to register my business in Illinois?
The State of Illinois requires most businesses to register with the State. For example, to form a corporation, LLC, or limited partnership you must register with the State. However, even if you are a sole proprietorship or general partnership, you must register your business with the city or county if you operate under a name different than the name of the owners of the company.
What licenses may be required by the state?
Some licenses and permits may be:
- Illinois Department of Labor license or permits (child labor work permits, Farm Labor Certificates, Street Trades Certificate of Registration, etc.)
- Licenses and regulations by profession: you can visit the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation website at www.idfpr.com for a list of professions
- Liquor licensing
What type of information will be needed or asked for on the license application?
Generally, you will be asked the following:
- Name of business
- Do you have employees? How many?
- Legal status (Individual, Sole Proprietor, Corporation, etc.)
- Taxpayer Identification Number (EIN)
- List of goods and/or services provided or sold
- Date business was established
- Address of business
- Name and address of owners/operators
- Is the business a wholesale, retail/service, construction business, manufacturing business
Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license
|Chicago||Town of Cicero||Decatur|
|Des Plaines||Evanston||Mount Prospect|
|Oak Lawn||Oak Park||Orland Park|
There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.
Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.
Search by State
To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.
This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.