Apply For A Business License Des Plaines, Illinois
Do I need a business license to operate a business in Des Plaines, Illinois?
Those that plan to open certain types of businesses in Des Plaines will need to obtain a business license from the Des Plaines Finance Department. They are located at 1420 Miner Street in Des Plaines. You may contact the City of Des Plaines at (847) 391-5300. You may want to explore the City of Des Plaines website for more information regarding business licenses and opening your own business. The application for a basic business license, also known as a business registration certificate, can be filled in online and then printed out and returned to the Finance Department.
What information do I need to provide for my business license application?
The application for a business license application can be filled out online and then printed to return to the Finance Department. It consists of several pages, including a flowchart for the documentation that you will need to provide and for other agencies that you will need to contact prior to receiving your business license. Some of these agencies include the Planning and Zoning Division for your zoning permit. They can be reached at (847) 391-5306 to discuss your business activities and your proposed business location. If you plan to do any remodeling to your business property, you will need to contact the Building and Code Enforcement Division at (847) 391-5380 to obtain a building permit.
There may be other agencies that will need to make inspections or approvals prior to your business opening. Be aware that some inspections can take up to six weeks to complete, so plan accordingly. When you have passed all inspections and applied for and been issued all other permits and licenses, you will then apply for your business license. Some of the following information will be necessary to complete your application. Review the application thoroughly online to be certain that you are familiar with each item needed, as this list is not exhaustive.
- Type of business establishment: retail/wholesale, food establishment, industrial, or service establishment
- Fire and burglar alarm information, alarm company name, and phone number
- Whether you plan to sell alcohol, tobacco, have pool tables, vending machines or coin-operated amusement devices
- If you are licensed by the state of Illinois, provide a copy of your license
- If any of your employees are licensed by the state of Illinois, provide a copy of their license
- A detailed description of the business activities that you plan to conduct
- If you rent your business property, provide the name and contact information of the landlord
- Your name, home address, driver’s license number, and home phone number
- Type of business ownership: sole proprietor, partnership, or a corporation (with date of incorporation and the name of your corporation)
- Name of business
- Business physical and mailing address
- Business phone
- Square footage of your business premises
- Three alternative emergency contacts with an cell phone, day phone, and night phone number and this person’s relationship to your business
- Signature certifying that you have provided only true and accurate information on your application and that you are in compliance with all city and zoning ordinances and that you have had your business properly inspected
If you have any questions pertaining to completing your business license application, you may contact the Finance Department at (847) 391-5366.
What are the fees associated with a Des Plaines business license?
Your business license fees are based on the type of business establishment you are running and the square footage of your business property. Additionally, there are separate fees for certain business activities and for vending machines, pool tables, alarms, etc. Expect to pay between approximately $56.00 and $1,086.00 annually. Contact the Finance Department for the exact amount of your business license fees.
Who should I contact if I need more information?
Contact the City of Des Plaines Department of Finance, 1420 Miner Street, Des Plaines, IL 60016. You can also find information on the City of Des Plaines website.
Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license
|Chicago||Town of Cicero||Decatur|
|Des Plaines||Evanston||Mount Prospect|
|Oak Lawn||Oak Park||Orland Park|
There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.
Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.
Search by State
To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.
This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.