Apply For A Whittier Marriage License

We are planning to be married in Whittier, California and we need to know where we need to go to apply for the marriage license. Where do we go to apply?

You go to the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s office to apply for your marriage license. The closest branch office locations of the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s office to Whittier are the branch office headquarters in Norwalk and the branch office in East Los Angeles. These branch offices are located at:

12400 Imperial Highway
Norwalk, California 90650
Phone: (562) 462-2137

East Los Angeles
4716 East Cesar E. Chavez Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90022
Phone: (323) 260-2991

In general, marriage license applications need to be submitted before three o’clock in the afternoon. This is to ensure same-day service. Marriage license applications are available in the office and online—you can visit Whittier Marriage License to download an application. But even if you submit an application online, you still need to appear together in person at the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s office in order to show your photo I.D. and pay the marriage license fees.

What marriage license requirements do we need to know about?

You both need to be at least 18 years of age. Neither of you can be married to another person at the time that you submit your marriage license application. At the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s office, you will be asked to present a valid government-issued I.D. (this could be a driver’s license or a passport) in order to verify your age and identity.

Do we need to have blood test results at the time of our application for a marriage license in Whittier?

No. You do not need to have blood test results to apply for a marriage license in Los Angeles County.

Do we need to live in Whittier at the time of our application for a marriage license?

No. You do not need to live in Whittier in order to apply for a marriage license. Place of residency is a qualification for marriage licenses in Los Angeles County. Couples from other cities and states are also welcome to apply.

When do we have to use our Los Angeles County marriage license?

You need to use your Los Angeles County marriage license within 90 days because after 90 days the marriage license will expire.

What fee do we need to pay to receive our marriage license in Whittier, California?

You need to pay $90 to receive a regular marriage license, but if you are applying for a confidential marriage license, you need to pay $85. You can choose to pay with cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card. If you write a check, the check needs to be made payable to the Registrar-Recorder County Clerk (RRCC).

Who can we ask to perform our Whittier wedding?

You are welcome to ask anyone who is legally authorized to perform weddings in the state of California to perform your wedding in Whittier. The following people are authorized to perform wedding ceremonies in the state of California: rabbis, ministers, and priests over the age of 18 from any religious denomination; judges, commissioners, and assistant commissioners of a California judicial court; and current acting mayors.

If you want to ask someone to perform your wedding who is not currently authorized to perform weddings in California, you should look into the Los Angeles County Deputy Commissioner for a Day program. This program deputizes a person as a Deputy Commissioner for a Day so that he or she can perform a wedding ceremony for a friend or relative. You can visit Whittier Marriage License for more information.

How can we request a civil ceremony in Whittier, California?

You can request a civil ceremony by making an appointment at the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s office. There is not a branch office in Whittier, but you can choose to have your civil ceremony in any of the branch offices in Los Angeles County. You need to have your marriage license in advance. Also, you need to invite your own witnesses. There is a $25 fee for the civil ceremony.

Where and when are we going to get our marriage certificate?

After your wedding in Whittier, you should take your signed marriage license back to the Los Angeles Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s office. After your license has been recorded, the office will order your marriage certificate and you will receive it in approximately two weeks.


Alameda Alhambra Anaheim
Antioch Apple Valley Arcadia
Bakersfield Baldwin Park Bellflower
Berkeley Buena Park Burbank
Camarillo Carlsbad Carson
Cerritos Chico Chino
Chino Hills Chula Vista Citrus Heights
Clovis Compton Concord
Corona Costa Mesa Cupertino
Daly City Davis Diamond Bar
Downey El Cajon El Monte
Encinitas Escondido Fairfield
Folsom Fontana Fountain Valley
Fremont Fresno Fullerton
Garden Grove Gardena Glendale
Hawthorne Hayward Hemet
Hesperia Huntington Beach Huntington Park
Inglewood Irvine La Habra
La Mesa Laguna Niguel Lake Forest
Lakewood Lancaster Livermore
Lodi Long Beach Los Angeles
Lynwood Merced Milpitas
Mission Viejo Modesto Montebello
Monterey Park Moreno Valley Mountain View
Napa National City Newport Beach
Norwalk Oakland Oceanside
Ontario Orange Oxnard
Palmdale Palo Alto Paramount
Pasadena Petaluma Pico Rivera
Pittsburg Pleasanton Pomona
Rancho Cucamonga Redding Redlands
Redondo Beach Redwood City Rialto
Richmond Riverside Rosemead
Roseville Sacramento Salinas
San Bernardino San Buenaventura (Ventura) San Diego
San Francisco San Jose San Leandro
San Marcos San Mateo San Rafael
Santa Ana Santa Barbara Santa Clara
Santa Clarita Santa Cruz Santa Maria
Santa Monica Santa Rosa Santee
Simi Valley South Gate South San Francisco
Stockton Sunnyvale Temecula
Thousand Oaks Torrance Tracy
Turlock Tustin Union City
Upland Vacaville Vallejo
Victorville Visalia Vista
Walnut Creek West Covina Westminster
Whittier Yorba Linda

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?