Apply For A Maine Marriage License

What is the process for getting a marriage license in Maine?

Because marriage license are issued at the city and town level in Maine, the process may be different depending on where you are applying. However generally you will need to file an “Intention of Marriage” form and file it with the Town Clerk. You will also need to provide any required documentation and pay the appropriate fee before the license will be issued.

Where should we apply for the license?

You must apply in person at the appropriate Town Clerk’s office. If both you and your fiance are residents of Maine, you may apply in a town where either one of you lives; if you live in separate towns, you only apply in one of the towns, not both. If only one of you is a resident of Maine, you should apply in the town where the resident lives. If neither of you are residents, you may apply in any town in Maine. The license is good for weddings throughout the state regardless of what town issued the license.

What do we need to bring with us when we go to apply for the license?

While some towns may have additional requirements, you will generally need to bring photo ID and your social security number for the application. If you or your fiance were previously married, you will also need to bring a certified copy with a raised seal of the final divorce decree or the death certificate of the former spouse. Any other requirements for your town can be found by clicking on the links above.

Once we receive the license, do we need to get married in a certain amount of time?

There is no period that you must wait to use the license, but the license does expire 90 days after it is issued. If you do not use the license within those 90 days, then you and your fiance will need to reapply for a new license. The license fee is nonrefundable so you will need to pay the fee again if you reapply.

Do we have to be married by a minister?

No, there are several different people who can conduct the wedding ceremony and legally solemnize your vows.
These include:
- Any Maine judge or justice
- Lawyers admitted to the Maine Bar who reside in Maine
- Maine notaries
- Ordained ministers, clergymen, or licensed preachers Judges, notaries, and justices of the peace from outside of Maine cannot legally marry couples in Maine.



Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?