Apply For An Idaho Marriage License

My fiance and I want to get married in Idaho. What do we need to do?

In order to be married in Idaho, you will need to get an Idaho marriage license. In order to get a marriage license, both you and your spouse-to-be need to apply at a County Recorder’s Office and pay the applicable fee. You must apply together and in person, and both of you will need to present some form of government issued photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, or military identity card as well as your social security numbers. You will also need to read an official state pamphlet on premarital AIDS education and sign a statement to that effect before you sign the official marriage license application.

What is the cost of the license?

Generally the marriage license fee in Idaho is $28, though some counties may charge more for marriage licenses issued on the weekend. You will be issued two licenses, one for your records and one that will be returned to the County Recorder’s Office after the wedding has taken place. If you want additional certified copies of the license, you can request them when you file for your marriage license at an additional cost of $2 per copy.

Do I need to be a resident of Idaho to apply for a marriage license there?

No, there is no residency requirement in Idaho. You and your spouse-to-be do not need to be residents of the state in order to marry there.

How long do we have to wait to get married?

No, there is no waiting period in Idaho. You may marry immediately after receiving the marriage license.

How long is the license good for after it is issued?

Marriage licenses are good throughout the state indefinitely. In other words, the license has no expiration date. However, if you do not use the license within one year of it being issued, you will need to sign an additional affidavit at the County Recorder’s Office in order for it to be valid.

Who may perform the actual marriage ceremony?

In Idaho, any judge or mayor may perform the actual solemnization of the marriage. Also, religious officials that are recognized to have that power, such as a minister or rabbi, may also legally perform the wedding.  



Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?