Apply For A Union City Marriage License

We are so excited to plan our wedding, but we don’t know how to get our marriage license in Union City, California. Where do we need to go to apply?

You will need to visit the Alameda County Clerk-Recorder’s office in Oakland, California. The Alameda County Clerk-Recorder’s office is located at 1106 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94607. Both of you need to appear at the Clerk-Recorder’s office to request the marriage license. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. You need to submit your request for a marriage license before 4:00 p.m.

If you want to ask a question about marriage licenses in Union City, you can call 1-510-272-6362 or visit the Alameda County Clerk-Recorder’s website:  Union City Marriage License.

What are the requirements for couples planning to be married in Union City?

Both of you need to be at least 18 years old. Neither of you can be currently married at the time that you request your marriage license. Be prepared to present a valid form of government-issued photo identification (such as a driver’s license or a passport) on the day that you go to the County Clerk-Recorder’s office to request a marriage license.

Are we going to have to get blood tests before we apply for our marriage license in Union City?

No, you will not have to have blood tests. Blood testing is not required to apply for a marriage license in the state of California.

We don’t live in Union City—is that going to affect our application for a marriage license?

You do not have to be a resident of Union City in order to apply for a marriage license in Alameda County. Residents of other cities and states are welcome to request a license to be married in Union City. Your marriage license will be valid anywhere in the state of California.

How long do we have to realize our marriage ceremony before the marriage license expires?

A marriage license issued by the Alameda County Clerk-Recorder’s office expires 90 days after the license is issued, so you should make sure that you realize your marriage ceremony before your marriage license expires.

How much should we expect to pay for a marriage license in Union City, California?

The fee is $96. This fee also includes one certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Can we choose whoever we want to perform our marriage ceremony?

You can choose the person who performs your marriage ceremony, but that person needs to be legally authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in the state of California.

Who is authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in the state of California?

Persons that are legally authorized to perform marriages in the state of California include judges, retired judges, designated court officials, and many clergy members.

Can another person become authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in Union City?

Yes, a person who is not already authorized to perform marriage ceremonies can be authorized by becoming a Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a day. To apply to be deputized, the person will need to submit the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the persons to be married; the date and place of the wedding; the county where the marriage license was issued; and his or her own name, address, and phone number by mail to Patrick O'Connell, Alameda County Clerk-Recorder at 1106 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94607. There will also be a $75 fee.

If you have more questions about how a person can become a Deputy Marriage Commissioner, you might want to visit the Alameda County Clerk-Recorder’s office website:  Union City Marriage License.

How do we request a civil ceremony?

Requests for a civil ceremony should be submitted to the Alameda County Clerk-Recorder’s office. The Clerk-Recorder’s office accepts requests for civil ceremonies any weekday before 3:45 p.m. You can even request a civil ceremony when you go to request your marriage license as long as it is before 3:45 p.m. You will need to provide the witnesses for your ceremony. If you want to invite guests, make sure you may bring no more than 29 people.

When can we pick up our marriage certificate?

You will be able to pick up your marriage certificate approximately two weeks after you submit your signed marriage license to the County Clerk-Recorder’s office to be recorded.


Alameda Alhambra Anaheim
Antioch Apple Valley Arcadia
Bakersfield Baldwin Park Bellflower
Berkeley Buena Park Burbank
Camarillo Carlsbad Carson
Cerritos Chico Chino
Chino Hills Chula Vista Citrus Heights
Clovis Compton Concord
Corona Costa Mesa Cupertino
Daly City Davis Diamond Bar
Downey El Cajon El Monte
Encinitas Escondido Fairfield
Folsom Fontana Fountain Valley
Fremont Fresno Fullerton
Garden Grove Gardena Glendale
Hawthorne Hayward Hemet
Hesperia Huntington Beach Huntington Park
Inglewood Irvine La Habra
La Mesa Laguna Niguel Lake Forest
Lakewood Lancaster Livermore
Lodi Long Beach Los Angeles
Lynwood Merced Milpitas
Mission Viejo Modesto Montebello
Monterey Park Moreno Valley Mountain View
Napa National City Newport Beach
Norwalk Oakland Oceanside
Ontario Orange Oxnard
Palmdale Palo Alto Paramount
Pasadena Petaluma Pico Rivera
Pittsburg Pleasanton Pomona
Rancho Cucamonga Redding Redlands
Redondo Beach Redwood City Rialto
Richmond Riverside Rosemead
Roseville Sacramento Salinas
San Bernardino San Buenaventura (Ventura) San Diego
San Francisco San Jose San Leandro
San Marcos San Mateo San Rafael
Santa Ana Santa Barbara Santa Clara
Santa Clarita Santa Cruz Santa Maria
Santa Monica Santa Rosa Santee
Simi Valley South Gate South San Francisco
Stockton Sunnyvale Temecula
Thousand Oaks Torrance Tracy
Turlock Tustin Union City
Upland Vacaville Vallejo
Victorville Visalia Vista
Walnut Creek West Covina Westminster
Whittier Yorba Linda

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?