Apply For A Pleasanton Marriage License

We’re engaged! Where do we go to get a marriage license in Pleasanton, California?

That’s wonderful! Planning a wedding can be a lot of work, but getting your marriage license is pretty simple. Marriage licenses for all cities in Alameda County, California are issued by the Alameda County Clerk-Recorder’s in Oakland. The complete address is 1106 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94607. You and your fiancé(e) need to go together to the Clerk-Recorder’s office to request your license. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but all requests for marriage licenses must be submitted before 4:00 p.m. The Clerk-Recorder’s office is closed on holidays.

The County Clerk-Recorder’s office can be reached by phone at 1-510-272-6362. You can also visit the County Clerk-Recorder’s website at Pleasanton Marriage License to learn more.

What requirements for marriage licenses in Oakland do we need to know about?  

You and your fiancé(e) both need to be at least 18 years of age and you both need to be legally unmarried at the time you request your marriage license. Don’t forget to bring a valid form of government-issued photo ID—you will need to present your photo ID at the County Clerk-Recorder’s office.

Do we need to get blood tests?

Blood tests aren’t necessary—blood testing is not a requirement for marriage licenses in the state of California.

What if one of us doesn’t live in Pleasanton, California?

That is not a problem. Residency is not required for marriage licenses in Alameda County.  You will still be able to apply for a marriage license in Pleasanton and be married there.

When will our marriage license expire?

Your marriage license will expire 90 days after the license is issued by the County ClerkRecorder’s office.

How much do we need to be prepared to pay for a marriage license in Pleasanton, California?

Be prepared to pay a fee of $96 when you request your marriage license. Just so you know, the $96 fee includes not only your Alameda County marriage license, but also one certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Can we choose the person that will perform the marriage ceremony?

You can choose the person who will perform the marriage ceremony as long as you choose someone who is legally authorized to perform marriages. Persons authorized to perform marriages in California include judges, retired judges, designated court officials, and most religious clergy members.

What if the person I want to perform the marriage ceremony is not authorized?

By being deputized as a Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a day, the person that you want to perform the marriage ceremony can be legally authorized to do so. That person needs to send the following information to Patrick O'Connell, Alameda County Clerk-Recorder, 1106 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94607: the names, addresses, and phone numbers of you and your fiancé(e); the date and place of the wedding; the county where the marriage license was issued; and his or her own name, address, and phone number. He or she will need to be prepared to pay a $75. The Alameda County Clerk-Recorder’s office website explains more about this process at Pleasanton Marriage License.

I am also considering having a civil ceremony. How do I request a civil ceremony in Oakland, California?

You can request a civil ceremony at the Alameda County Clerk-Recorder’s office on any business day before 3:45 p.m. You can even request a civil ceremony the same day that you request your marriage license. If you decide to have a civil ceremony at the County Clerk-Recorder’s office, you will need to provide your own witnesses. You can invite up to 29 guests if you would like.  

When will I be able to pick up the marriage certificate?

Before you receive your marriage certificate, you will need to return the signed marriage license to the County Clerk-Recorder’s office. Once the marriage license has been recorded, the office will order the marriage certificate, which should be ready in about two weeks.


Alameda Alhambra Anaheim
Antioch Apple Valley Arcadia
Bakersfield Baldwin Park Bellflower
Berkeley Buena Park Burbank
Camarillo Carlsbad Carson
Cerritos Chico Chino
Chino Hills Chula Vista Citrus Heights
Clovis Compton Concord
Corona Costa Mesa Cupertino
Daly City Davis Diamond Bar
Downey El Cajon El Monte
Encinitas Escondido Fairfield
Folsom Fontana Fountain Valley
Fremont Fresno Fullerton
Garden Grove Gardena Glendale
Hawthorne Hayward Hemet
Hesperia Huntington Beach Huntington Park
Inglewood Irvine La Habra
La Mesa Laguna Niguel Lake Forest
Lakewood Lancaster Livermore
Lodi Long Beach Los Angeles
Lynwood Merced Milpitas
Mission Viejo Modesto Montebello
Monterey Park Moreno Valley Mountain View
Napa National City Newport Beach
Norwalk Oakland Oceanside
Ontario Orange Oxnard
Palmdale Palo Alto Paramount
Pasadena Petaluma Pico Rivera
Pittsburg Pleasanton Pomona
Rancho Cucamonga Redding Redlands
Redondo Beach Redwood City Rialto
Richmond Riverside Rosemead
Roseville Sacramento Salinas
San Bernardino San Buenaventura (Ventura) San Diego
San Francisco San Jose San Leandro
San Marcos San Mateo San Rafael
Santa Ana Santa Barbara Santa Clara
Santa Clarita Santa Cruz Santa Maria
Santa Monica Santa Rosa Santee
Simi Valley South Gate South San Francisco
Stockton Sunnyvale Temecula
Thousand Oaks Torrance Tracy
Turlock Tustin Union City
Upland Vacaville Vallejo
Victorville Visalia Vista
Walnut Creek West Covina Westminster
Whittier Yorba Linda

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?