I want to open a business in Cape Coral, Florida. Do I need a business license?
If you plan to operate a business in Cape Coral, you will need to apply for and be issued a business tax receipt from the Licensing/Business Tax Division of the Department of Community Development. In addition to your business tax receipt, you will need to have a certificate of use for your business location. It is wise to determine what zone would best be suited to your business and choose a location based on zone prior to entering into any real estate transactions on any property
. If you enter into a contract on a location that is unacceptable for your business activities, you may still be liable to pay for the location, even though you may not be able to use it. Contact the Zoning office at (239) 242-3264 to discuss your business activities and to request a certificate of use application.
What information will I need to complete my Cape Coral business tax receipt application?
Some of the information that you will need to supply for your Cape Coral business tax receipt application includes:
- The website and email of your business
- Hours and days of business operations
- Name of business owner
- Description of business activities
- Manager’s name and contact information
- Physical address of business
- Mailing address of business
- All phone numbers associated with business
- Emergency contact name and phone number
- Type of application (new business or relocation or expansion of existing business)
- Social security number and/or federal tax ID number
- If applicable, the building owner’s name and contact information
- Whether any part of your business is dedicated to adult-related activities or items, and if so, whatpercentage of the floor space dedicated to such activities and/or items
- Number and type of coin-operated machines, where they are located, and how much money is required to operate the machines
- If gas station pumps are used in your business, provide the number and bays for them
- Insurance companies associated with your business
- Whether your business location will be altered for your business
- Number of employees, vehicles, seating capacity
There may be additional items found on your business tax receipt not found on this basic list. Review the application online at the City of Cape Coral website or contact the Business Tax Division at (239) 574-0430 for questions concerning completing your application.
I want to run a home business in Cape Coral. What do I need to know?
A home-based business is acceptable in Cape Coral, provided you submit Lee County Affidavit for Home Business. This affidavit document contains all the restrictions and standards that are in place for home occupation in the City of Cape Coral. You will need to state that you are in compliance with all restrictions and conditions in front of an approved witness. Some of these restrictions include not using any kind of advertising in your residential area for your business, that you will use no more than 10% of your total floor space for operating your business, etc. Contact the Business Tax Division for questions pertaining to the home business affidavit.
How much will I have to pay to receive my Cape Coral business tax receipt?
You will need to contact the Business Tax Division for an accurate calculation of your fees and costs. They can be reached at (239) 574-0430.
I need more information. Who should I contact?
Contact the Licensing/Business Tax Division of the Department of Community Development at (239) 574-0430 or visit them in person at 1015 Cultural Park Boulevard in Cape Coral. You may also want to explore the City of Cape Coral website for information on starting your own business and receiving your Cape Coral business tax receipt.
Disclaimer: This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.