Are you opening a business in Fayetteville, North Carolina?
If you are planning to open a business in Fayetteville, you will need to be issued a business license (also called a business privilege license) from the Development Services Department. The application for a business license is available online at the City of Fayetteville website. You may also request one from the Development Services Department by calling (910) 433-1708. Be aware that you may be required to contact the police, fire, and various other inspection agencies and also be zone-approved before you will be issued your business license. There may be any number of local, state, and/or federal entities that may need to issue you licenses or permits prior to your business license being issued. You may want to review the code of ordinances online at the City of Fayetteville website for information regarding conditions and regulations regarding operating a business in Fayetteville. If you have any questions, you may contact the Development Services Department at (910) 433-1707. You may also discuss the code of ordinances with the City of Fayetteville at City Hall, located at 433 Hay Street.
What information is expected to complete your Fayetteville business license application?
The business license application for Fayetteville is short and required only that you include your name, the address for your business, a description of your business activities, a business phone and fax number for your business, and, if it applies to your business, the number and classification of your North Carolina state license. You will need to provide a signature and date and state whether you are applying for a new license or renewing an existing license. If you have any questions or would like to speak to the Development Services Department, they can be reached at (910) 433-1707 or (910) 433-1168.
What other information would be helpful?
- If you are changing business locations, you will need to bring your existing license to the Development Services Department at 433 Hay Street to have your new business license issued.
- If you are an electrician, plumber, or certain other contractor business and will be working on a project over $30,000.00 you will need to obtain a North Carolina state license.
- Your business license must be issued prior to conducting any business in Fayetteville.
- Your business license is for twelve months from June 30. If you apply for a business license after February 1 and prior to June 30, the fee for your first business license will be prorated by half the annual cost for the initial payment and thereafter you will be responsible for the entire annual amount.
- You are responsible for procuring your own license if you purchase an established business. Business licenses are non-transferable in Fayetteville.
- Certain business activities including massage technicians, those who will be operating a health spa or club, and those soliciting information or goods will need to have other permits issued by the city and will likely have to have criminal background checks and will be expected to adhere to regulations regarding their business activities.
- Your business license fees will be calculated based on your business gross receipts and other factors. You will need to contact the Development Services Department to discuss your business license fees.
Who should you contact for more information?
You may contact the Development Services Department by phone at (910) 433-1707 or (910) 433-1168. If you wish to communicate via mail, all correspondence can be sent to PO Box 1846, Fayetteville, NC 28302-1846. The City of Fayetteville
website has information that you may find helpful while going through the process of obtaining your business license.
North Carolina Cities
Disclaimer: This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.