Apply For A Business License Tacoma, Washington
What is required for a Tacoma business license?
Anyone engaging in business within the city limits of Tacoma is required to obtain a City of Tacoma Business License. You will also need a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) tax number. You will also need to register with the State of Washington by completing the Master Business Application. All home-based businesses are required to have the city business license as well as a Home Occupation License.
What will I need to complete the business license application?
Here is a list of the information required:
- Tacoma Public Utilities Customer account number if applicable
- State of Washington Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number
- Federal EI number
- Name of business and all corporate officers, owners, and partners birthdates, social security numbers and contact information
- Any other applicable license numbers for employees
- Start of business date in Tacoma
- Type of business
- Description of business activity
- Total gross receipts estimated for one year
How do I apply for a license?
Application and fees (check of money order made payable to City of Tacoma) can either be mailed or delivered in person to:
City of Tacoma
Tax and License Division
733 Market Street #21
Tacoma, WA 98402-3770
For other questions about licensing, contact the Tax and License Division by phone (253) 591-5252 or via email: email@example.com.
How much are the licensing fees?There are some businesses or services that require special requirements or additional fees. Please carefully review the application to see if they apply to your business. Licenses are valid until the end of the calendar year (December 31st). If a license is issued on or after July 1st, the fee will be half of the standard rate. Here are the costs of the licenses:
- Master Business Application fee is $15 and includes the UBI tax number
- City of Tacoma Business License fee is $80, plus $25 for each added location within Tacoma
- If your business did under $10,000 in gross receipts during the past year there is no fee
- Non-profit organizations are required to pay a $25 fee and show IRS form 510(c) (3) for exemption status
What else do I need to know?
If you have not already done so, contact Building and Land Use Services at (253) 591-5577 to be in compliance with the city’s zoning codes. Also, contact the Tacoma Fire Department to ensure you have met the fire safety requirements: (253) 591-5740. These are required before transacting any business within the city limits of Tacoma.Tax changes went into effect on January 1, 2011. Click on the link provided to understand your City of Tacoma tax requirements.
Select Your City
There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.
Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.
Search by State
To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.
This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.