Apply For A Business License Kent, Washington
What steps are required for a Kent business license?
Many cities in Washington are required to pay the Business and Occupation (B&O) tax. This does not apply with business owners in Kent. Also, some areas of Kent are actually listed outside of Kent city limits and therefore are regulated by King County. Check the link to see if your business location is affected. Any business, including home-based businesses, operating within the city limits of Kent will need to take the following steps before beginning business operations:
- Register with the State of Washington
- Obtain a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) tax number
- Understand and comply with Kent zoning restrictions
- Complete a City of Kent Commercial Business Application
- Pay the applicable fees
Select your method of application. You can apply online, you can contact Customer Service (253) 856-5200 to have them send you the forms to fill out, or you can visit the City Hall Customer Service Counter at 220 4th Avenue S, Kent, WA 98032. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Once the application has been submitted your license should be available within 10 business days.
How much does it cost for a business license?
Most licenses are $154 the first year which includes a $54 fee for a fire inspection required by all commercial businesses located within the Kent city limits. The license is prorated after July 1st. Upon renewal, the fee becomes $100 annually. The licenses are valid until the end of the calendar year and must be renewed by the end of the following January. Here are the costs of the licenses:
- Master Application fee is $15
- Kent Commercial Business License fee is $154
- Home Occupation License fee is $25
- For specialty licenses click on the provided link
What information will I need to fill out the city application?
You will need to have the following information available:
- State of Washington Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number
- NAICS number
- Name of business and owner(s) contact information
- Start of business date in Kent
- Description of business activity
- Number of full-time and part-time employees
- Emergency contact information
- Check or money order for required fees
Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license
There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.
Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.
Search by State
To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.
This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.