Apply For A Business License Portland, Oregon
How do I apply for a business license in Portland, Oregon?
If you are planning to operate a business in Portland or Multnomah County, you will need to complete a Business License Application. Registration is offered in various ways and no payment is due with the form. This process must take place within 60 days of doing business.
You may download the fill-and-print format or select the printable application form and deliver the signed application to City of Portland, Revenue Bureau, License and Tax Division, 111 SW Columbia Street, Suite 600, Portland, OR 97201. If you prefer to apply online you may do so by clicking on the following link.
Do all businesses have to have a license?
You may be exempt from needing a business license if your business:
• Grosses less than $50,000 annually
• Is listed as an insurance agency or you are an insurance agent or representative
• Is solely doing real estate sales as an associate broker
• Is renting or leasing less than 10 dwelling units
• Is a non-profit organization. In this case you will still need to fill out the Business License Exemption Request Form.
How is the cost determined?
Businesses are required to pay a license tax of 2.2% of the net income of the business. Filing the Combined Tax Return report each year will determine the license tax. The minimum tax per year is $100.
What information will I need to fill out the application?
In order to complete the registration process, you will be required to fill in the following information:
• Business name and contact information for owner(s)
• Business start date
• Business entity type with applicable tax ID number
• Business activity description
• List names of corporate owners or partners if they hold more than 5% stock in the company
• Completed Business Tax Registration form unless business is exempt
For other questions or information, contact the City of Portland Revenue Bureau at (503) 823-5157.
Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license
Search by State
To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.
This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.