Apply For A Business License Kansas City, Kansas

How can I apply for a Kansas City business license, Kansas?

The majority of businesses are not required to obtain a business license, but the vast majority are required to pay the occupational tax every year. For information on whether or not you will have to get a business license, pay the occupation tax, or both, contact the Business License Division at (913) 573-8782. At this time, the application for the business license and the occupational tax are not available on Kansas City’s website because Kansas City requires that you speak to someone in person to ensure that the correct application(s) are completed in order to operate your business within City limits. You may receive your required application(s) through fax after speaking with a representative at the Business License Division or you may go to the office in person and make your request there.

License Administrator
4953 State Avenue (Indian Springs)
Kansas City, Kansas 66102

Who is required to obtain a business license (occupational tax) in Kansas City, Kansas?

Everyone who will operate a business in Kansas City or have entrepreneurial dealings with anyone in Kansas City requires a business license. There are only a few exceptions, such as certain disabled persons, attorneys, registered non-profit organizations, and those only selling milk, produce, or fuel in Kansas. For details in respect to who is mandated to have a business license or pay the occupational tax, you may contact the Business License Division at (913) 573-8780.

What is the cost of applying for a business license (occupational tax) in Kansas City, Kansas?

Fees are not posted online as business licenses vary greatly, thus Kansas City requests that you contact them directly for details regarding fee estimates for your business license. Call the License Administrator at (913) 573-8780. Some businesses require both a business license fee and an occupational tax in order to operate a business within Kansas City’s limits. The facets that comprise the occupational tax are based on the following: square footage, number of employees, flat fee (construction, health, educational, professional, and technical services have flat fees that vary) and the number of property units. Again, for specifics on occupational tax and fees call Kansas City at (913) 573-5730.

Are there any assistance programs for new business owners in Kansas City?

Yes. The Kansas Department of Commerce offers incentive programs for new business owners and established business owners alike. The Kansas Department of Commerce is composed of five bodies: Business Assistance, Business Finance, Workforce Training, Business Development, Office of Minority and Women-Owned and National Marketing. The incentive programs offered by these entities are tax credits, loans, grants, and services. To determine eligibility for these incentive programs, please contact the Kansas Department of Commerce at (785) 296-3481. You may also visit their website at Kansas Department of Commerce.

In conjunction with the State of Kansas offering incentive programs to new business owners, Kansas City has created the Economic Development Department to provide assistance for business development, real estate possibilities for your business, and tax financing. The Economic Development Department’s page on Kansas City’s website is Kansas City Economic Development. The Economic Development Department may be reached at (913) 573-5730. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m.

Economic Development Department
701 North 7th Street
Kansas City, Kansas 66101

How may I obtain a specialty Kansas City business license?

There are a variety of specialty business licenses that Kansas City can issue. The following are the most common kinds:

  • Private Club and Drinking Establishments
  • Cereal Malt Beverage (3.2% alcohol)
  • Temporary Alcohol and Temporary Cereal Malt Beverage
  • Firework Stands
  • Taxi and Livery Drivers
  • Pawn Brokers
  • Massage Therapists
  • Precious Metal Dealers

As the requirements are so different from one type of specialty business license to the next, it is important that you contact the Kansas City Business Licensing for details relating specifically to the kind of specialty business license that you desire: (913) 573-8780.

Are there still questions?

The Business License Division’s hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. To contact the License Administrator for Kansas City, call (913) 573-8780. The mailing address is as follows:

License Administrator
4953 State Avenue (Indian Springs)
Suite 87
Kansas City, Kansas 66102
Telephone: (913) 573-8780
Fax: (913) 573-8622

For general information provided by the State of Kansas for beginning your business, visit .

Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license

Kansas City Lawrence Olathe
Overland Park Topeka Wichita

There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.

Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?