Anyone owning or operating a business within the city limits of Tuscaloosa is required to acquire a City of Tuscaloosa Business License. The application can be filled out online, downloaded and mailed, or by visiting the office at the Revenue Department. To request an application form by phone, call (205) 248-5200. You may also request an application form by faxing (205) 349-0180.
For a list of regulations pertaining to your type of business consult with the City of Tuscaloosa Municipal Code to ensure your business is in compliance with city and state regulations. Once the Revenue Department reviews the application, you will be provided with any additional forms, information, and requirements needed to complete the licensing process. Building, tax, and zoning compliance is necessary before a license can be issued and business can be transacted.
What do I need to know to fill out the Tuscaloosa Business License application?
You will need the following information:
- FEIN number
- State of Alabama tax number
- Type of organization (Partnership, LLC, Corporation, Sole Proprietorship, Professional Association, etc.)
- Type of business
- Trade and legal name of business
- Description of business activity
- Start of business date in Tuscaloosa
- Names of all corporate officers, owners, and partners social security numbers, titles, and contact information
- Physical address of all business locations in Tuscaloosa
- Emergency contact information
- Number of employees working in Tuscaloosa
Where do I send the application?
The application should be sent to:
City of Tuscaloosa
P.O. Box 2089
Tuscaloosa, AL 35403
What is the cost associated with the business license?
Each business varies pertaining to the cost of the annual license. You will need to estimate your annual gross receipts. The minimum license fee is $120. You can find information on additional fees for your specific business online in the Tuscaloosa Municode. If you annual gross receipts are either more or less than projected, your annualized gross receipts used for calculating your business license tax liability for the following year will be increased or decreased by the amount of the difference. Licenses must be renewed each calendar year by January 31, with the exceptions of insurance companies (by March 1) and alcoholic beverage licenses (January 15).
What about home based businesses?
Generally speaking, you will need to follow the same guidelines as any new business in the City of Tuscaloosa. There are some conditions for Home Occupation Businesses:
- Residents only can work within the home
- Business must be done within the home and not in the yard or any other building on the property
- Only 25% of the gross floor area in the home may be utilized for the business
- Business activity must be incidental to the residential uses of the premises
- Only one unlighted sign can be attached to the home and it cannot larger than one square foot
Disclaimer: This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.