Apply For A Business License Montgomery, Alabama
All individuals or owners of a business intending to do business within the city limits of Montgomery are required to obtain a City of Montgomery Business License. Farmers and government workers are exempted from needing a business license. The form can be downloaded and sent through the mail, or picked up in person at the License and Revenue Division. There are four options to receive an application form:
- by phone (334) 241-2036
- by fax (334) 241-2994
- or in person at:
License and Revenue Division
25 Washington Street - 3rd Floor
Montgomery, AL 36104
Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The City of Montgomery Municipal Code will help you to understand the fees and requirements associated with the business license and to ensure your business is in compliance with city and state regulations. This is very important because all information you will need to understand your obligations within the City of Montgomery are provided in this document. You must also be compliant with the city zoning, tax, and building regulations before a license can be issued and business transacted.
Where do I send the Montgomery business license application?
The application can be hand delivered to the address above during business hours or mailed to:
License and Revenue Division
City of Montgomery
P.O. Box 1111
Montgomery, AL 36101-1111
How much does the Montgomery business license cost?
Businesses will vary based on the nature of their business and on the annual gross receipts. The following link will help you find out what the cost will be for your specific business. You will need to:
- estimate your annual gross receipts for the calendar year
- find your business according to the classification in the municipal code and there will be a corresponding letter code
- at the bottom of the list you will find a table that shows the cost associated with your license
- if you annual gross receipts are either more or less than projected, your annualized gross receipts used for calculating your business license tax liability for the following year will be increased or decreased by the amount of the difference
Licenses are renewed each calendar year by January 31. If you submit your license application after July 1, the fee will be 50% of the annual license fee.
What information will I need to have to complete the application?
You will need the following information:
- Driver’s License number
- State of Alabama tax number
- Names of corporate owners, partners, and officers along with birthdates, social security numbers, titles, and contact information
- Organization type (Partnership, Corporation, Professional Association, Sole Proprietorship, LLC, etc.)
- Type of business
- Trade name of business
- Legal name of business
- Description of business activities
- Start date of business in Montgomery
- FEIN number
- Physical address of all business locations in Montgomery
- Emergency contact information
- Estimated amount of gross receipts
Are there any other requirements I need to be aware of?
Some Montgomery businesses have other requirements for them to transact business. Generally this applies to businesses that sell or serve alcohol in any form, offer lodging, or solicit business. To see if these apply to you, a link has been provided for you to have access to the required forms.
Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license
There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.
Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.
Search by State
To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.
This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.