Apply For A Salt Lake City Marriage License

How can we apply for our marriage license in Salt Lake City, Utah?

In order to apply, you and your spouse to be will have to make a trip to the Salt Lake County Clerk’s Office.  If you do not want to go the Salt Lake City Clerk’s Office for any reason, you may go to any County Clerk’s Office throughout Utah, so long as your marriage ceremony will be within the state itself. The closest County Clerk’s Office is found at:

Salt Lake County Clerk, Marriage License Division
2001 South State Street #S2200
PO Box 144575
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4575
(385) 468-7300

You may obtain the marriage license application form on the Salt Lake City Marriage Licensepage. This application may be completed before you go the Salt Lake County Clerk’s Office. Ensure that if you print this form it must be done on 8 ½ x 11 white paper and written in black ink.

How much does the Salt Lake City marriage license cost?

The Salt Lake County marriage license application fee is $50, this is due when you remit the application in person, at the County Clerk’s Office. You may pay via: check, cash, Visa or Mastercard. If you are wishing to have a county clerk marry you, that charge is an additional $30. Once you are issued the marriage license, you can utilize it immediately and it is valid for 30 days. If the marriage license expires before your wedding, you will need to reapply and pay the fee again.

What if one of us was married previously in Salt Lake City, UT?

You will only need to bring a certified copy of the divorce decree or the annulment if it was done in the past 30 days. If it has been longer than that, make certain to have the last date the marriage was valid to supply for the application information.

Which details will be needed on the Salt Lake marriage license application?

  • Bride and groom’s complete, legal names

  • Groom and bride’s permanent addresses and mailing addresses if different

  • Race and age of both applicants

  • Names and birthplaces of all parents

  • If under the age of 18 (16-17 years old) a legal guardian (guardians for both applicants if applicable) will need to be present to give written consent

  • You may re-register to vote via the marriage license application

  • When will the actual wedding ceremony occur?

  • Previous marriages? Last date it was valid

  • Application must be signed and dated

  • Bring a driver’s license or photo identification, passport or military card if you want to bring a birth certificate for proof then you must also bring an accompanying photo I.D. as listed
  • Who is able to marry us in Salt Lake, Utah?

    Those that are legally able to wed couples in Salt Lake County are:
    Religious leaders who are in “regular communion with their church” meaning, they are active in their church, Native American spiritual advisors, certain judges and magistrates (more information can be found on the Salt Lake City Marriage License page), governors and  certain mayors.

    We still have more questions, who can we contact about Salt Lake City marriage licenses?

    Please contact the Salt Lake County Clerk’s Office, their telephone is (385) 468-7300. The hours of operation are Monday thru Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm, except for federal holidays. If you would like to visit their webpage, go to the Salt Lake City Marriage License page.


    Layton Ogden Orem
    Provo Salt Lake City Sandy
    Taylorsville West Jordan West Valley City

    Search by State

    To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

    Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
    Alaska Louisiana Ohio
    Arizona Maine Oklahoma
    Arkansas Maryland Oregon
    California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
    Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
    Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
    DC Mississippi South Dakota
    Delaware Missouri Tennessee
    Florida Montana Texas
    Georgia Nebraska Utah
    Hawaii Nevada Vermont
    Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
    Illinois New Jersey Washington
    Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
    Iowa New York Wisconsin
    Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

    This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


    Related Articles

    Do You Like This Content?