Apply For A Business License Albuquerque, New Mexico

What is the first step?

In order to apply for a business license to run a business in the municipal limits of the City of Albuquerque, first you must obtain a Tax Identification number (CRS number). To do this, you will need to visit the office of the NM Taxation & Revenue Department. This office is found at 5301 Central NE on the corner of San Mateo and Central and is located on the third floor of a bank building. For directions or further questions, call 505-841-6200. Once your number has been issued, you will visit the office of the Planning Department at 600 2nd St NW to fill out forms, which are required before obtaining your business license. It may save time to print these forms off and fill them out before you bring them into the office. Be sure that you print legibly and that all information is complete and accurate. Any information you provide, excluding your tax number, becomes public information. The next step is to determine which type of business registration you will need to apply for.

Is your business operating from your home?

If you are opening a business that does not use any commercial space, you will be considered a home-based business and should fill out the paperwork accordingly. The Home Business registration consists of three short sections which ask for your personal information and information about your business. There is also a series of questions where you must describe in detail how your home will be used as a base for your business. It is important that you fill out the paperwork completely and be sure to be as specific as possible in how your home will be used.

Is your business operating commercially?

If your business will be housed in an office space, a warehouse, or retail store, you will be opening a commercial business and should fill out the application for commercial business. This application consists of detailed explanations of the nature of your business and its location. Be sure to fill it out completely and accurately as all information will become public record.

Are you opening a home daycare?

Your home daycare business means you plan to watch up to six children in your home or up to twelve with a Conditional Use approval. In order to receive your Conditional Use approval, you will need to see a Zoning Inspector at the Treasury Department. They are located at 600 Street NW.

What are the fees required to open a business in Albuquerque?

There is a $35 non-refundable administration fee used for setting up and maintaining your registration. Each business location is required to pay the annual business registration fee of $35.00 at the Planning Counter on the ground floor of the east side of Plaza Del Sol, 600 2nd Street NW. The first payment and registration review must be in person at the above address, then providing you do not change your business location or the nature of your business, all further renewal fees can be mailed in to the Treasury Department. If you have not paid the registration fee by the date that your business commences or annually by the anniversary date of your business opening, you will be charged a late fee of $10.00 per year. If your business closes, you must contact the City of Albuquerque Treasury Division attn: Business Registration P.O. Box 17 Albuquerque, NM 87103 to avoid being charged the annual fee, or any late fees. Businesses in which there is any food preparation or food handling or businesses that feature swimming pools, liquor stores, bars/lounges, or liquor sales must contact the City Environmental Health Department to gain information on any health permits that may apply. There will be inspection fees for each permitted location which will be decided by the City Environmental Health Department.

How do I obtain zoning approval?

You need to have a physical address for each business location. You may only use a post office box for mailing purposes. According to Ordinance 53-1981 each business location is required to have zoning approval and you will have to submit a separate application for each location. If you change the location of your business, it is your responsibility to notify the City Treasurer. The change of location must be approved by the city's Zoning Department.

Who do I contact if I have further questions?

City of Albuquerque Treasury Division Attn: Business Registration
P.O. Box 17 Albuquerque, NM 87103
(505) 768-3398

You may also visit the Treasury Division's website.

Apply for a business license now by visiting Albuquerque's website using the link above.

Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license

Albuquerque Las Cruces Rio Rancho

There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.

Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?