Apply For A Business License Nashville, Tennessee

How is zoning approval decided?

There is only one department that decides what is mandated per zone, the Codes and Zoning Division. For a determination on whether or not the area sought will be approved please contact them directly at (615) 862-6559.

How does one apply for a business license in the Nashville-Davidson County area?

Even though the State of Tennessee requires that both the county and the city where a business is operated must approve the business, in Nashville, Davidson County assists with the process so that prospective business owners do not have to submit two applications. It is recommended that one contacts the Davidson Business Tax Division at (615) 862-6254 if there are any questions whatsoever.

The information that must be provided is: business name, address, business telephone number, business owner’s home address, home telephone number, social security number, copy of owner’s driver’s license and signature of each prospective owner.

Must all businesses apply for a Nashville business license?

No. Manufacturers and certain business professionals do not have to obtain a business license. Those that are required are for-profit businesses. For a complete list of the requirements, please contact Davidson Business Tax Division at (615) 862-6254.

Is a Nashville home-based business different from a commercial business?

You may required to obtain additional permits if you are operating a home business. Please visit the Nashville-Davidson County Clerk website to learn more about obtaining a business license for your Nashville home-based business.

Are there any costs involved?

There are four dominant business classifications. The Business Tax Department will determine which the business falls under by the information submitted on the application.

How does one pursue a specialty Nashville business license or permit?

There are three specialty licenses and one permit that are available from Davidson County. Those who wish to be permitted to buy from others then sell those items to the public should please contact the Business Tax Department at (615) 862-6254 extension 77150.

Those who desire to operate a booth should obtain a Transient Vendor License. Call (615) 862-6254, extension 77144. If one desires to obtain a Liquor License, contact the Business Tax Department at (615) 862-6254.

Any time a sidewalk within Davidson County will be encroached on for any type of business, the County must issue a Sidewalk Encroachment Permit. For the regulations please contact (615) 862-6254 extension 77129, 77132, 77135.

Is there any additional information that is needed?

The only entity that one needs to contact is the Davidson County Business Tax Division at (615) 862-6254. They possess answers to any and all questions regarding applying and operating a business in Nashville. The address is Business Tax Division, 700 2nd Avenue South, Suite 101, Nashville, TN, 37210.

Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license

Chattanooga Clarksville Jackson
Johnson City Knoxville Memphis
Murfreesboro Nashville-Davidson

There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.

Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?