Apply For A South Carolina Building Permit

What projects require a building permit in South Carolina?

Building permits are required in South Carolina for any construction project that creates a new structure or alters, adds to, renovates, or demolishes an existing building. Depending on where you live and your local building regulations, this can include building fences, decks, sheds, and detached garages, as well as roofing and siding work. Most projects that involve electrical, plumbing, or mechanical work will also require a special permit before the work can begin. The specific requirements in South Carolina are set by each local city.

Where should I apply for a building permit in South Carolina?

Building permits are generally issued by the city building or permit office in the city in South Carolina where you will be performing the work. In the case of unincorporated areas or occasionally very small towns, the responsibility for building permitting is taken on by the county. The name of the office in charge of building permits varies throughout the state of South Carolina. For example it is called the Building Division in Georgetown County while it is known as the Building Codes Department in Anderson and Oconee County. Information concerning city and county building services can usually be found on your local government’s website.

Are there special requirements if the property is located within a floodplain?

Yes, if your project will take place in a floodplain in South Carolina you may need to get an elevation certificate from FEMA before your building permit will be issued. Even if a FEMA certificate is not required, some areas like Georgetown County require you to comply with certain minimum standards to prevent flood damage when undertaking any construction project in a floodplain. Special permits may also be required depending on the proposed nature of your project.

Do I need a building permit in South Carolina for my mobile or manufactured home?

In South Carolina, while you normally will not need to get a building permit for your mobile home, you will need to apply for a mobile home or moving permit and have the house inspected before electricity will be turned on. You can apply for this permit at the same city or county building office that processes building permits.  


Charleston Columbia Greenville
North Charleston

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?