Apply For A Montana Building Permit

At what point will I need a building permit in Montana?

Generally, building permits are required for any new construction when you are located in a town or city in Montana. In rural areas that are not covered by a municipal government, many types of building are exempted from permitting requirements while some buildings still require a building permit issued by the state.

What buildings are exempted from state building permit requirements?

If you are located in a rural area and do not need to get a city building permit, you still may need to receive a state building permit. However, Montana does not require building permits from the following:

• farm and ranch buildings
• mining related buildings located on mining property
• petroleum refineries and pulp and paper mills (but not office and shop buildings)
• residential buildings containing less than five dwelling units but not including hotels
• private garages and private storage buildings used for the owner's own use that are not part of a business

If you are planning a construction project and are not sure whether your building is exempt or is not subject to local regulations, you should check with the state Building Codes Bureau to make sure of your obligations before starting construction.

Who issues permits in municipal areas in Montana?

Your local town or city Building Department is responsible for permitting and inspecting buildings within its jurisdiction. This means that you must file your building permit application with the city where the property is located.

What types of projects in Montana require a building permit?

Different cities have different requirements on when a building permit is required, but usually you will need a permit in order to build a new structure, expand or structural modify an existing structure, undertake substantial electrical or plumbing work, move a structure, change the use of a structure, and demolish a structure in Montana. Some cities such as Bozeman also require special permits for electric and plumbing repairs, as well as for re-roofing a building but not for re-siding it. Generally finishing work such as painting and tiling will not require a permit, but you should always check with your local city government before starting any significant project.  


Billings Great Falls Missoula

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?