Apply For A Business License Clovis, California
Looking to operate a business in Clovis, California?
You’re going to need a business license if you plan to open a business in the city of Clovis. The first important step in obtaining your business license is to have your proposed business location properly zoned. You should contact the Planning Department at (559) 324-2340 to make sure that the property meets requirements. When you contact them, be sure to determine if you have adequate parking for your business, discuss obtaining your sign review and permanent signs, and sign ordinance requirements. Your business may need to be inspected for safety and fire code compliance. You can reach the Building Inspection Division at (559) 324-2390 to discuss the possible need for inspections.
What is the next step?
The next step that you need to complete is to obtain a business license application. You can either visit the City of Clovis City Hall at 1033 Fifth Street in Clovis, or you can print it off the business section of the City of Clovis website. The application for your business license is a two-page document that will need to be completed as accurately as possible. There are several pieces of information that you will be required to submit including (but not limited to):
- Stating your business name
- Physical address of your business
- Owner information, including contact information, driver’s license information and e-mail address
- Date you start your business
- Whether you are a sole proprietor, part of a corporation, or in a partnership
- If your business is a home occupation
- If any part of your business is related to adult-oriented material, whether manufacturing, selling or handling
- Your estimated gross receipts for the current year
- All applicable tax information
- Billing information
- A basic drawing of the footprint of your building including exits, bathrooms dimensions and square footage estimates
- A description of your business
- A section of categories that may be related to your business where you will check any applicable sections
- If you plan to serve alcohol, offer massage, or tobacco
- Whether you will provide entertainment
- The days and hours you plan to operate
- The number of employees you plan to hire
- A brief and detailed description of the process and activities will be involved in your business, what products you will have, the amount you will have and how you will plan to store these products.
Do you plan to operate a business from your home?
If you plan to conduct business from your home, it is important that you familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations that are associated with home occupations. There are several pages of requirements, restrictions and information that will help you to determine if your proposed business is acceptable in the City of Clovis. You can find this document on the City of Clovis website. To conduct business out of your home, you must have a Home Occupation Permit, in addition to your business license. You can find the application for the permit at the City of Clovis website, or you can contact the City of Clovis Department of Planning and Development in person at 1033 Fifth Street in Clovis or via telephone at (559) 324-2340.
What fees can you expect to incur?
Business license fees are due yearly by January 1. The annual fee will be prorated if your business opens after March 31, after June 30, and after September 30 through December 31. You can contact the Finance Department to find out exactly what your dues will be, and when they will be due prior to your first annual due date. The Finance Department can be reached at (559) 324-2112.
Who should you contact if you need further information?
You can contact the Finance Department-Business License Office for questions dealing with fees or for questions about your business license application at 1033 Fifth Street, Clovis, CA 93612. The office phone number is (559) 324-2112. If you have zoning questions you can contact the Department of Planning and Development at (559) 324-2340. If you have building inspection questions, please contact the Building Inspection Division at (559) 324-2390.
Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license
There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.
Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.
Search by State
To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.
This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.