Who Can Perform a Marriage?

[Alabama - Iowa] [Kansas - Oregon] [Pennsylvania-Wyoming]


Marriage may be performed by a minister of any denomination, any judicial officer both retired and active, and any religious society that does not religious leader.

Rhode Island

Any elder or ordained clergy in good standing or any judicial or city officials authorized to perform wedding ceremonies.

South Carolina

A marriage may be performed any ordained of any denomination.

South Dakota

A person may be authorized to solemnize a wedding who is a judicial official or an ordained minister.


All ordained ministers, preachers, pastors, priests, rabbis, and other spiritual leaders may perform a wedding ceremony. Subsequently, any judge, county legislative bodies, county mayors, judges, chancellors, former chancellors and former judges of this state, former county executives or county mayors of this state, former members of quarterly county courts or county commissions, the governor, the speaker of the senate and former speakers of the senate, the speaker of the house of representatives and former speakers of the house of representatives, the county clerk of each county and the mayor of any municipality in the state may solemnize a marriage.


Marriage may be solemnized by minister of any denomination; any judge both retired and active authorized to perform marriages, and any religious society that does not have a minister or priest.


Marriages may be performed by ministers, rabbis, priests of any religious denomination or any religious society. A marriage may also be solemnized by a mayor, judge, justice of a court of record, country clerk of any county in any state, president of the Senate or Speaker of the house in Utah. The person performing the marriage must be over 18.


A marriage ceremony may be solemnized a judge , or any ordained minister that has the religious authority. A clergyman residing in Canada can perform a marriage if he or she obtains special permission from the probate court where the marriage will take place. Vermont does not require witnesses for the wedding.


Marriage may be solemnized by minister of any denomination that can provide proof of his ordination to the circuit court in any city or county or any judge both retired and active.


Any active or retired justice, any licensed or ordained minister of any denomination can perform a wedding. Washington allows ministers from other states to perform wedding ceremonies.

West Virginia:

Wedding ceremony may be performed by a judicial representative or any ordained minister of a religious denomination.


Any ordained clergy or appointed member of the clergy congregation or any judge of the court record may perform the wedding ceremony.


A marriage may be performed by a judge, city officials who are authorized to perform a marriage, or any ordained minister of a religious organization.

[Alabama - Iowa] [Kansas - Oregon] [Pennsylvania-Wyoming]

This information was compiled from various sources, but has not been independently verified, and may be incomplete or out of date. City Applications will not be held liable for any  inaccuracies, errors, omissions or defects in any such information, or for any action taken by any person in reliance on such information or any damages arising from or relating to any use of such information.  See the general Terms of Use section of the web site for further information.


This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?