Apply For A Business License Richardson, Texas

Looking to start a business in Richardson, Texas?

If you are looking to begin a business now or soon in the future you should know that the City of Richardson requires business licenses and business permits from only certain types of business activities. At this point in time, the city obligates all business owners to obtain permits that encompass these:

  1. Solicitor’s Permit: includes door-to-door solicitations, handbills, non-residential, charitable solicitation in the roadway, and both charitable and non-charitable organizations
  2. Alcoholic Beverage License: regulated through the TABC but required to consult with city as well
  3. Special Activity and Street Use Permit: including block parties, parades, and any events involving street closures
  4. Food Service Permit
  5. Temporary Food Permit

What should I do for a Richardson Solicitor’s Permit?

You will first need to complete the Solicitor’s Permit Application found online on the Richardson city website. You should be aware that you may not solicit in the City of Richardson except between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 30 minutes before sunset and you may not solicit on federal holidays. A renewal must be completed every 180 days. If you allow the permit to expire, you may be charged a $500 fee by the city. The permit fee is $35 and must be included with the remittance of the application, therefore, you will need to either submit it in person or mail it, along with a DMV-issued photo identification. The mailing and physical addresses are the same: 140 North Greenville Avenue, Richardson, Texas. Call (972) 744-4800 to contact the Richardson Police Department.

What should I do for an Alcoholic Beverage License in Richardson?

You will be required to complete the Alcoholic Beverage License with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC). You may obtain the application by mailing a request to:

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission
2225 East Randol Mill Road
Suite 200
Arlington, TX 76011

You may also call (817) 652-5912 and request that the application be mailed or faxed to you. Some cities require their own permitting for alcoholic beverages along with the state, however, the City of Richardson does not. Therefore, the only entity that you will need to speak with regarding obtaining the Alcohol Beverage License is the TABC. For more details, you may call the phone number above or visit

What about a Richardson, Texas special event?

You will need to completely fill out the City of Richardson Special Activity and Street Use Application. It is important to note that this application must be completed and filed with the city at least two full weeks prior to the event itself. Additionally, 80% of Richardson citizens must agree to the street closure or event. The application can be found at Richardson Street Permit. The cost of the event itself will be determined by the Richardson Police Department, for they will have to supply officers, barricades, etc. They may be reached at 140 North Greenville Avenue, Richardson, Texas. Call (972) 744-4800 to learn more. If you have any other questions regarding special activities, events, or street closures, please call (972) 744-4320.

Traffic and Transportation Department
Attention: Administrative Secretary
City Hall
411 West Arapaho Road, Suite 204
Richardson, TX 75080
(972) 744-4320

What costs are expected of those who apply for any business permits in Richardson, Texas?

The fees associated with obtaining necessary permits range from $20 to $2,000 approximately. Please call the City Secretary’s Office for further details: (972) 744-4292. For special events, street closures, and other activities, you must call the Richardson Police Department at (972) 744-4800. They will be supplying the manpower to operate the event and therefore charge the fee.

Are there any programs to assist business owners in Richardson?

Yes. The City of Richardson Economic Development Partnership offers programs in the form of guidance and financial assistance through both grants and loans. Please contact (972) 792-2800 for further details. You may also visit the city’s webpage at

What information will be needed for the City of Richardson Permits?

If you are one of the specified businesses in which a permit is required, you will need these details:

  1. Applicant name
  2. Business name
  3. Applicant’s phone number and address
  4. Business owner’s name
  5. Business owner’s number and address
  6. Name of person in charge of solicitation, if applicable
  7. If Solicitor’s Permit, state whether or not the FDA has declared any of the proposed products to be harmful. Also, if a juvenile is soliciting under the age of 17, a guardian must be present within 100 yards at all times.
  8. Driver’s license numbers for both applicant and business owner
  9. Business type: individual or sole proprietor, corporation, partnership or other
  10. Business website address
  11. Date business will commence
  12. Number of expected employees
  13. Expected employees’ information such as numbers and driver’s license numbers
  14. Certification from the Planning and Zoning Commission
  15. Signatures of both the applicant and business owner

Will those who apply need other licenses or permits or verification of any kind in Richardson?

Yes. It is a requirement to have your business property inspected by the Planning Division. They verify that your chosen property conforms to all of the City Ordinances for your business type and for safety. To contact the Planning Division you may call (972) 744-4240. Please have all of your specifics with you regarding the location of your building, age, dimensions, and the like. Additionally, you may visit their website at Richardson Development Services. If you require the address, it is:

Planning Division
411 West Arapaho Road, Suite 204
Richardson, TX 75080
Fax: (972) 744-4320

A Certificate of Occupancy must be issued prior to the commencement of your business. It is essential that you contact the Planning Division.

Any further questions?

You may contact the City Secretary at (972) 744-4292. The City of Richardson hours of operation are Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Additionally, you may need to call the Economic Development Partnership at (972) 792-2800 for information regarding possible financial assistance for your business.

City of Richardson
411 West Arapaho Road
Richardson, TX 75080

Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license

Abilene Amarillo Arlington
Austin Baytown Beaumont
Brownsville Bryan Carrollton
College Station Corpus Christi Dallas
Denton El Paso Flower Mound
Fort Worth Galveston Garland
Grand Prairie Harlingen Houston
Irving Killeen Laredo
Lewisville Longview Lubbock
McAllen McKinney Mesquite
Midland Missouri City North Richland Hills
Odessa Pasadena Plano
Port Arthur Richardson Round Rock
San Angelo San Antonio Sugar Land
Temple Tyler Victoria
Waco Wichita Falls

There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.

Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?